Godox have released the very much anticipated Round Head Lithium-ion powered TTL speedlight in the new Godox V1.
And the Flashpoint branded version Zoom Li-on X R2 are available now from Adorama for $259. In Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fujifilm, Olympus/Panasonic, and Pentax versions.
The V1 are the follow up to the popular V860II Lithium-ion powered speedlights, and once again provide a radio Master mode which will control the full range of lights in the Godox X / Flashpoint R2 2.4GHz radio flash system.
Along with the new Round Head the V1 also provide numerous improved features over the previous V860II speedlights –
- Round Head for Pleasing Circular Light Pattern
- Magnetic Modifier Mount – Compatible with AK-R1 & H200R
- SMD LED Modelling Light in Flash Head
- Backward Tilting Flash Head (30 Degrees Backward)
- Lever Locking Flash Foot
- New Battery with More Reliable 2 x 18650 Lithium-ion Cells
- Improved Recycle Time (Approx 1.5 Seconds @ Full Power)
- Compact USB-C Battery Charger
- Laser AF Assist Light, and SMD LED Light
- USB Port Updated to USB-C
- Main Dial D-Pad Function – Fast Access & Power Adjustment
- Improved Interface and Direct Access to Groups
- 1/10th Stop Manual Power Levels & Minimum 1/256th Power
- TCM Function (Not in Radio Master Mode)
- Channel Scan Function for Best Radio Performance
- Advanced Optic Wireless Modes Removed (Navigate Modes Faster)
- 76Ws Output
- TTL & HSS
- X System 2.4GHz Master & Receiver
- Round Head
- Magnetic Modifier Mount
- Built-in LED Light
- Lithium-ion Battery
- 480 Full Power Flashes
- 1.5 Second Recycle Time
- TCM Not Available in Radio Master Mode
- Zoom Limited to 105mm (28-105mm)
- No Fan Cooling
- Heat Limit Counter (Not Sensor)
- No Bluetooth (For App Control)
- Foot Strength & Design Could Improve
When used off camera the new Round Head Speedlight provides a more natural circular flash pattern and light fall off than traditional rectangular head speedlights.
And most significantly the new Round Head includes a fast and convenient magnetic accessory mount, compatible with the existing AK-R1 Gel and Modifiers. Which are also compatible with the AD100 Pro and AD200 Pro with optional Round Head.
- 76Ws GN 28m (ISO 100, 50mm Zoom)
- SMD LED Modelling Light
- Godox Magnetic Modifier Mount
- Powered by 7.2V, 2600mAh, 18Wh, Li-ion Battery
- Approx 480 Full Power Flashes Per Battery Charge
- Approx 1.5 Second Full Power Recycle Time
- Flash Mode – ETTL /M / Multi
- HSS to 1/8000th
- 1st Curtain Sync / 2nd Curtain Sync
- FEC / FEB – 1/3rd Increments (±3 stops)
- Manual Flash – 1/256 – 1/1 output control (1/10th increments)
- Flash Zoom 28 – 105mm
- Radio Master & RX Modes for Flashpoint R2 / Godox X Radio System
- Auto Sensing Canon / Nikon / Sony / M 4/3 / Fuji / Pentax TTL Radio Slave Modes
- Radio Master – 3 Remote Groups – (+ 1 On-Camera Flash Group)
- Radio Receiver – 5 Groups – A / B / C / D / E
- 32 Channels
- Range to 100m
- S1 and S2 Optic Slave Modes
- Head Swivel – 330° (150° Left, 180° Right)
- Head Tilt – 7° to 120° ( 30° Backward)
- Flash Duration (t0.1) – 1/300s – 1/20,000s
- Color Stability – 5600 ± 200K
- Large Dot Matrix LCD Screen
- Laser AF Assist Light
- Lever Lock Foot Clamp
- Sound Prompt
- Custom Functions
- Settings Memory
- Overheat Protection
- USB-C Port for Firmware Updates
- 2.5mm Sync Port
- Size – 76 X 93 X 197mm
- Weight – 534g (18.8 oz) With Battery
Although there is always room for improvement, the V1 Master interface now provides a much better user experience than previous models. Groups now have direct access with a button assigned to each Group.
And the Main Dial also includes a new D-Pad function, where you can press on the dial in 4 positions, as well as rotate it. This provides direct access to more functions, and faster adjustment of power levels. Pressing the top or bottom of the dial makes fast complete stop adjustments, while rotating allows for finer 0.3 or 0.1 stop increments.
The V1 flash head can now also tilt 30° backwards, which saves a lot of time compared to previously swiveling the head all the way around to achieve the same result.
Head swivel is a little more limited though at 330° (150° Left, 180° Right).
The V1’s Round Head now features a built-in 2W SMD LED modelling light. Providing 10 manually adjustable power levels, and 3300K color temperature.
MAGNETIC MODIFIER MOUNT
Possibly the most convenient new feature of the V1 flash is the magnetic accessory mount, compatible with the AK-R1 magnetic Gels and Modifiers.
These are also compatible with the AD100 Pro and AD200 Pro / EVOLV with optional H200R Round Head.
The V1’s external ports include a 2.5mm Sync port, and USB-C port for firmware upgrades.
There is no longer a communication port for the older clip on XTR-16s radio receivers included.
The V1’s new Lithium-ion battery is 7.2V, 2600mAh, and 18Wh. The battery is now comprised of two standard 186500 cells. Which have proven to be very reliable in the larger strobes, and shouldn’t have issues with swelling etc like the previous V860 batteries sometime had.
The supplied battery charger is also now a very compact USB-C charger, which can fully recharge the battery in 3.5 hours. (For people wanting to use a mains power outlet, generic USB to mains power adapters are widely available).
|Compatible Cameras||Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fujifilm, Olympus/Panasonic, Pentax|
|Power – 1/1 Output||76Ws|
|Guide Number||92 ft / 28 meters @ISO 100 50mm zoom|
|Coverage||28 – 105mm|
|Zoom||Auto Zoom (matches lens focal length), Manual Zoom|
|Head Swivel||330° (150° Left, 180° Right)|
|Head Tilt||7° to 120° ( 30° Backward)|
|Flash Exposure Control|
|High-speed sync||Yes – to 1/8000th|
|Flash exposure compensation||±3EV (exposure value), adjustable in 1/3 EV increment|
|Flash exposure lock||Yes|
|TCM Function||Yes (Not in Radio Master Mode)|
|Functions||Master, Receiver, Off|
|Groups – Master||M, A, B, C (Canon A, B, C, D)|
|Groups – Receiver||A, B, C, D, E (D/E controlled by X series transmitter units)|
|Transmission range (approx.)||0-100m|
|Modes||Hot Shoe, Radio, Optic S1, Intelligent Optic S2, Sync Port|
|LCD Screen||Dot Matrix LCD panel, backlighting ON / OFF|
|Beeper||Beeper ON / OFF|
|Memory function||Settings stored 2 sec after last operation & recover after restart|
|AF Assist Beam|
|Effective Range||Center: 0.6 – 10m, Periphery: 0.6 – 5m (M4/3 have no AF Beam)|
|LED Modeling Lamp|
|Power||2W SMD LED|
|Color Temperature||3300K ± 200K|
|Flash Duration||1/300s to 1/20,000s (t0.1)|
|Power Source||7.2V / 2600mAh, 18Wh, Li-ion Battery|
|Recycle Time||Approx 1.5 @ full power|
|Full Power Flashes||Approx 480|
|Power Saving||Auto Power Off – after 90 sec idle (60 min in RX mode)|
|Dimension||76 * 93 * 197mm|
|Net Weight||534g (18.8 oz), 420g without battery|
|2.4G Radio Frequency Range||2413.0MHz-2464.5MHz|
|Max. Transmitting Power||5dbm|
PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
The Flashpoint branded Zoom Li-on X R2 TTL are available now from Adorama for $259. In Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fujifilm, Olympus/Panasonic, and Pentax versions.
As well as numerous bundle packages which often provide good savings.
GODOX V1 Speedlight –
Canon – Amazon – UK – B&H Photo – Ebay
Nikon – Amazon – UK – B&H Photo – Ebay
Sony – Amazon – UK – B&H Photo – Ebay
M4/3 – Amazon – UK – B&H Photo – Ebay
Fujifilm – Amazon – UK – B&H Photo – Ebay
Pentax – Amazon – UK – B&H Photo – Ebay
AK-R1 Magnetic Accessory Kit –
Adorama – Amazon – UK – B&H Photo – Ebay
Godox – Website / Firmware
Flashpoint – Website, Firmware
Disclosure Statement – The links above, and links within the post, may contain affiliate links or promotions. These do not cost readers anything and help to keep this website alive. Many thanks for your support.